Friday, March 5, 2010

Let's talk about decorating


I love everything about interior decorating. My obsession began about six years ago. I started watching HGTV and became a junkie. I watched as much as I could. I bought several books and subscribed to magazines for inspiration. I began cutting out pictures and creating an inspiration book. I slowly picked up tips and techniques and began decorating. I found that you can create great rooms on a budget. Most of the decor in my home, aside from the larger items, have come from Target, TJ Maxx, Pier One, flea markets, garage sales or consignment shops. You can really create a great room on a budget. I also believe that your home should be an expression of who you are. My husband and I met on the beach, we live near the coast and we love the beach so are colors mimic those of the beach and ocean with blues, tans and greens and we have touches of shells and starfish throughout our home. My daughter and I love to paint pottery so I have a glass front cabinet dedicated to our creations. And we also love to display family photos and pottery purchases from art fairs. What ever you love will work. The idea is for the things that surround you to have meaning and to make you happy.

Where do you begin you ask? Well, the best place to start when decorating a room, is to find out what your style is. Look through magazines and catalogs and cut out pictures of things that you love. This will help you to stay focused and to have inspiration as you are shopping. Make a list of the things that you want to look for and head out shopping.

When starting a room the best idea is to purchase good quality, built to last, key pieces. Things like your couch, dining table and bedroom furniture are where you should spend a good portion of your budget. Try to find pieces that are neutral in color which never go out of style. Then you create interest with the little things like throw pillows, lamps, accessories, bedding, etc. These are the things that you can bargain shop for and replace yearly or even each season. You can create a Pottery Barn style room, for example, at a fraction of the cost by shopping at places that are budget friendly. Then you add things that are near and dear to you, things that you find while on vacation, trinkets that you love, things you pick up over time, to complete the look.

Decorating can be a lot of fun and easy. With a few tips you can create a beautiful room all on your own.

I hope you come back for more tips. In future blogs I will show you some of my bargain finds and how we created each of our rooms, plus tips on picking paint color, how to arrange furniture and great ideas for artwork.

I love sharing my ideas which is one of the reasons I wanted to start this blog. I hope that you enjoy reading it and find some inspiration.

Happy Friday and have a great weekend. My family and I are planning an indoor camp out this evening with our little one, complete with roasted hot dogs and S'mores. It's time to light the fire (gas fireplace).

Have a good one!

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails