Monday, May 17, 2010

Totally confused............




Are you as confused as I am about what you should be eating? I grew up in a time where it was everything goes. Now that I am a mom I try to make good decisions for myself and my family. When I was a kid we didn't worry about pesticides on our fruits and vegetables, hormones in our meat and milk, high fructose corn syrup in virtually everything.

What are you supposed to do? Now with the new PBS movie, Food Inc., things are just crazy. If you haven't seen it, I have chosen at this point not too, it's about our food chain. Where things come from, how food makes it too our table, and what things are just plain bad for you.

Did you know that there is soy in just about everything you eat? And it's not good for you. Not in the processed form that it's in. If you eat soy it's supposed to be in it's natural form, soy beans, edamame. Thank goodness, I was so proud that my daughter eats edamame. It's good for her. Right? But, soy is in most processed foods. Even the seamingly healthy ones, like rice cakes and cereal bars.


In our house we try to eat a good balanced diet. We eat fresh fruits and vegetables with each meal (at least my daughter eats both), though I hear eating fruit and protein isn't good because of how it breaks down the protein. We eat whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta, organic meats (mostly chicken we only eat red meat once a week or so) and milk. We eat yogurt for snacks, frozen yogurt (at home instead of ice cream), we don't eat sugary cereals, and I use whole wheat flour when baking. We don't eat chips and "snack-y" things, we eat very little processed foods, we limit our sweets and desserts and I look for things that have no high fructose corn syrup. I thought we were doing a pretty good job.

Now they are saying that the pesticides used on fruits and vegetables has been linked to ADHD in children. Really! I saw a report on the Today Show today, the medical expert said to limit quantities of fruits and vegetables that can not be peeled, such as berries, and to peel all other fruits such as apples and pears. All this time I thought the peel was the best part because of the fiber.


What are we supposed to eat? Really? All organic? And with today's grocery prices who can afford that? Even our local farmer's market, though the prices are great, the fruits and vegetables are not likely to be organic or "local" for that matter.

I am totally confused. Plus, add a peanut allergy in to the mix, I have to basically cut out all processed foods anyhow, but to add all of the limitations on fresh foods, what is a parent to do?

Thanks for letting me rant. I just left the grocery store and was feeling a bit overwhelmed and frustrated. I don't mean to put my head in the sand, but I can only do as much as I can do. I feel good about my decisions and we eat well. I'm sticking with that.

Have a GREAT Monday!!!!

Leslie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails