Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Recipe of the Week




One thing I love is breakfast. Not just a bowl of cereal, though that's not bad either, but things like waffles, pancakes and french toast. Anything that you can put syrup on. And not just any syrup, not that there is anything wrong with Aunt Jemima, I love it too. But, if you haven't tried real maple syrup then you are missing something. It's so light and sweet. I could eat myself sick just so I can keep eating syrup.

This recipe is one of my favorites for waffles. Oatmeal Cinnamon Waffles. They are delicious. They are a bit time consuming and take a quite few steps, but it's well worth it in the end. One thing I like to do when I make waffles, pancakes or french toast (and many other things) is to make extra and freeze them so I can toast them up during the week for my little one for breakfast. Your kids will think you are a hero if you serve them warm waffles in the middle of the week. You will definitely want to double this recipe and make extra to freeze. They are that good, plus if you are taking the time to make them you want them to last a while. Just pop them in the toaster on a low setting and toast. You will probably have to toast 2-3 times so that they thaw and toast crisp.

I'm sorry I don't remember where I got the recipe, it might have even been included with our waffle maker that we received as a gift.

Oatmeal Cinnamon Waffles

3/4 c all-purpose flour 1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 c uncooked oats (old fashioned) 3/4 c milk
1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 salt 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg separated

In large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; stir to blend thoroughly. In mixer bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form. Add sugar; beat just until stiff peaks form. Set aside. In medium bowl, whisk together egg yolk, milk and vanilla. Using rubber spatula, stir milk mixture into flour mixture, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in melted butter. Fold in beaten egg white until combined.

Pour batter onto hot greased waffle maker.

Enjoy!
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails